A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

SnappySarzie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Slow cooker recipes

Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 pm

How strange - you usually don't need too much liquid for slow cookers as all the natural juices come out - did you have it up too high? I made lamb shanks last night (from scratch) and there was way too much liquid in it - although still tasted awesome. What recipe of theirs did you use out of interest- so I don't have the same problem.

Nice work getting $10 though!!!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Ive had that happen twice before jasmine, once with a packet mix and once with a devilled beef recipe. No idea why it happened, as I use my slow cooker 2-3 times a week in winter and have never had problems like that any other time, I just put it down to 'one of those things'.

Chicken curry: (the one my mum makes)
1kg, skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut in 1 inch strips or chunks
1 large sliced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder (I use more if I want it hotter)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup chicken stock (I think I normally use a cup though, but it depends on how it cooks, sometimes if I am home to watch it I'll adjust the levels)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours, serve with rice. My mum also throws in sultanas in the last 15 mins before serving.

I also love thai red curry in the slow cooker, but don't really follow a recipe for that, more just use the red curry paste and coconut milk and throw it all in! :lol:

jasmine&paul
I survived and got married

Thu May 05, 2011 2:12 pm

SnappySarzie wrote:
How strange - you usually don't need too much liquid for slow cookers as all the natural juices come out - did you have it up too high? I made lamb shanks last night (from scratch) and there was way too much liquid in it - although still tasted awesome. What recipe of theirs did you use out of interest- so I don't have the same problem.

Nice work getting $10 though!!!

i had it on low so i dont think it was too high i just think the packet really did ask for too little water it was only 1/2 a cup (i think im at work so dont have packet) so it didnt cover my ingredients or really the bottom of the pot (the one i have is ronson 6ltrs oval) which i found weird but decided to go with it!! It was a Beef Stroganoff packet & yes the $10 is pretty good considering the amount of meat that got chucked i hate waste but oh well learnt my lesson! No packets for me in slow cooker its funny as the slow cooker i bought had a bonus 5 free packets with it :D

Will have to try some of these receipes everybody is posting!!

bronzestar

Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm

I made a "chuck it all in and hope it tastes good" beef casserole and it turned out quite yummy, so I figured I may as well share the recipe. It can be altered anyway you want to alter it, but it's a good basic starting point. I think I will add more carrot and celery next time.

1.3kg gravy beef, cut into 3cm peices.
2 brown onions
4 large potatoes, skin on
2 large carrots
2 large celery stalks
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 vege stock cube
400ml hot water
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
freshly cracked pepper

Vegies are roughly chopped, larger peices work fine.

Brown the beef and onion, put in slow cooker. Add the tomato, stock, water, herbs, pepper and potatoes.

Cook on auto for 4-6 hours. Add the carrot and celery. Cook further 1-3 hours. May need to leave the lid off in the last part of cooking if there is too much liquid. I recommend a minimum 6 hours cooking time.

I think that was all that went in it. Hope someone enjoys the recipe :D

rhiannonp

Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Basically, my slow cooker directions are : Buy the crappest meat possible, put anything and everything that is wilting in your veggie crisper, add a tin of tomatoes, some stock, herbs and wine if you like, and cook for as long as you like. (Mine often goes for 10+ hours if I start work at 7am and don't eat until 6:30 that night). It's amazing how otherwise taste-less crappy ingredients come out to be delicious in a slow cooker. A friend of mine does roast lamb and chicken in there too. But, to share a specific, this is my fave.

Corned Beef Slow Cooked

Put your piece of corned beef in the slow cooker, fat side up. Cover with water. Add about 2 - 3 tablespoons of raw sugar, and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup white vinegar. Add a decent handful of peppercorns, a few bashed cloves of garlic, a couple of roughly chopped onions, a carrot (or whatever you have dying in the fridge :lol: celery is good too), and a couple of bay leaves. Cook on low for at least 7-8 hours. Make sure you lift it out using an egg slice and tongs - no slicing required, it will fall apart with a gentle tug with the tongs. Beautiful next day cold in sandwiches. A tip from my Mum - if only going to use it for sandwiches, let it cool completely in it's own juices! Turning the slow cooker off and letting it sit for 30 minutes is a good thing anyway, even if eating it hot, makes it even juicier.

Enjoy :)

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Keep these yummy recipes coming girls!!!
Anyone have any dessert recipes?

bronzestar

Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Sorry emylou I don't have any dessert recipes.

I made This Osso Buco Recipe tonight. It was good, I added more of the vegies than the recipe asked for but I always do that. Could have put even more vegies in though, will do that next time.

ETA: I had to laugh- this recipe was featured on Better Homes and Gardens yesterday :D

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm

I know it's a bit of a contradiction...but I was wondering if anyone has any quick slow cooker meals - you know, that take like 2-3 hours on high?? I feel like something warm and comforting but didn't plan it..

Thanks!!

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:29 pm

I just bought one and im terrible with it.

Does anyone know of any recipes that can cook for 12 hours? I leave for work at 7:30 and dont get home until 7:30 8O

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:16 pm

OMG I was just on Pintrest and saw this pin and thought of all you slow cooking ladies out there:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... order.html

This lady used her slow cooker EVERY DAY FOR A WHOLE YEAR AND NEVER ONCE REPEATED A RECIPE!! She did use it for things other than dinners but still, EVERY DAY!!

Check it out!

bevisangus

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:04 pm

I use my slow cooker all the time, but I don't cook chicken often enough to need a chicken cooker........so this is a great idea for me!!! Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.07