A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Mrs Kylo
I survived and got married!
I survived and got married!
Topic Author

Re: Gas cooktops

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm

In a choice between gas or electric cooktop I'd go gas every time!
My parents have gas and it's great .. it's immediate heat and immediate control when turning heat up or down
Unfortunately I've only ever had electric myself .. something that's about to be rectified when our new house is built with a gas cooktop!! Can't wait!
Electric cooktops take so long to heat up to the right temperature, never seen to get really hot (like you need for efficient wok cooking) and don't respond quickly when adjusted .. so if something is about to boil over and you turn it down you also have to lift the pan off till the element cools down sufficiently (where with gas you could just turn down the gas and leave the pot in place)
And once you've finished cooking and turned everything off, the electric elements take a while to cool down so are also a safety issue

As far as BTU goes, I have no idea there!

SnappySarzie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm like mrsgtobe in that we're getting gas cooktop in our renos. Can't wait! We've always had electric but at the place we are renting it is gas and it's almost like the gas cooking adds an extra oomph to the flavour of the food. Not sure what Btu is - I know Choice magazine did a recent review of gas cooktops which could help.

Abrielle.Samson

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 pm

In purchasing gas cooktops, knowing the precision of your Btu is very important. I just bought one recently and was very happy with the choice that I had upon purchasing the item. You can go and check out acecater [dot] com [dot] au for list of affordable Gas cooktops and I’m pretty sure you’ll get what you want. :D Will definitely stick with Gas, because you can control the heat temperature while cooking, unlike with the electric ones which takes so long to heat up to the right temperature. :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.09