A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

EternalWillow
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Rice Cooker recipes

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:38 am

Hey girls... I've always used my rice cooker for basic rice but since I started dating a Chinese guy I'm really working it overtime!! Mine has a little steamer pan that fits on top, so sometimes I steam things like bok choy or frozen dumplings on top while we're cooking the rice underneath. The one thing we found was the Chinese buns with the "bread"-like dough (like the bbq pork buns you get at yum cha) tend to stick to the bottom of the metal steamer, so I need to find something to lay down on top of the holes that still allows the steam to go through. But things that are done with a "wonton" or "dumpling" type of dough usually don't stick if you spray them with a bit of oil and stir them around while they're steaming.

Anyway I'm excited because I worked out how to do Mexican rice the other day in the rice cooker! So I thought I would share how it's done and see if anyone else has any rice cooker tricks!

Basically you put as much rice & water as you normally would (I put in 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water usually), then you put in:

1 can of diced tomatoes
1 sachet of tomato paste
1 x 35g packet of taco seasoning (or make your own - for chili seasons I used garlic, chili and cumin powder and paprika to taste)
1 small diced capsicum
1 tablespoon jalepeno peppers (optional)

You might need to add more water throughout the cooking, my rice cooker seems to switch itself off before it's done, but I just put more water in and switch it back to "cook". So it's kind of like a risotto I guess. Anyway it tastes great and is really easy to make so give it a go if you like this sort of thing. :)

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Re: Rice Cooker recipes

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Sound YUM! Could you do this in a slow cooker too??

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 pm

I didnt know one could put stuff other than rice in the cooker, but it makes sense that one could (like you would in a pot if cooking rice manually).

I want to try this, since I recently bought a rice cooker (I've only used it for rice so far - made Jasmine rice last night for first time in the cooker lol). Thanks!

@MrsManco: not sure about a slow cooker, but I cant see why not?

EternalWillow
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah I don't see why you couldn't! I found this recipe online:

1. Measure the rice, water and butter or oil. In general you want 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. The great thing about the crock-pot is more water can be added if necessary without too much change in the texture of the rice. (not sure about the butter & oil, it didn't give quantities!)

2. Place the rice and water into the crock-pot. You can also add things like canned or frozen vegetables and spices if you like, but be sure to add a little bit of extra water for cooking them as well.

3. Set your crock-pot to the lowest setting. If you are starting this more than 3 or 4 hours ahead of time, turn to the "keep warm" setting after about 4 hours. Even though the rice is not likely to burn, turning your crock-pot to this setting ensures you wont have to scrub the sides of your crock when cleaning.

4. Go play with your kids while the crock-pot does the cooking. Make sure to tell them about the great dinner you have planned. (lol!)

5. Serve and enjoy your rice. You can get your protein with a simple addition of a can or two of pinto or kidney beans for a complete meal.

I also made a chicken corn soup in the rice cooker the other night. I put in my normal amount of rice & water (usually about 1 cup to 2 cups water - makes about 3 cups of cooked rice I think) and two heaped teaspoons of "chicken powder" - which is this big tin of chicken seasoning that FH buys from Asian shops, but I would guess it's about 2 tsp of chicken stock powder or 2 cubes. Once the rice was done and the chicken seasoning had boiled into the rice, I added about another litre of water, 1 cup frozen corn kernels and some dried mushrooms (optional). I put the lid on and switched it back to "cook". Then I beat 2 eggs and when the water in the rice cooker was boiling, I slowly added the egg in a thin stream - if you do it when the water is at a "rolling boil", it will form ribbons of egg quite quickly. Cooked it for a few minutes longer, adjusted the flavouring (I added some soy sauce and some more chicken stock) and served. FH loved it!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.11