A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife
Topic Author

Christmas cookies!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd bake my own cookies this year, but I have no idea where to start! :oops: How about if people share their favourite recipes, I think it could be fun too! Also feel free to post pics of your cookies! :e_xmas:

I'm keen to make some nice choc chip ones, but like I said, I don't normally bake, so I wouldn't have a clue which recipes are good and whatnot.

bronzestar
I survived and got married

Re: Christmas cookies!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Malin,

This is my favourite choc chip cookie recipe, it came off the packet of the choc chips :oops: It's not the type of mixture that you can roll out and use cookie cutters on though, sorry. Not diet approved by any stretch of the imagination either!

225g butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup choc chips

The (condensed) official recipe says:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
Cream together butter and sugar
Beat in sweetened condensed milk
Cream together mixture until it is light and fluffy.
Sift flour and baking powder into butter mixture
Stir through choc chips
Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on lined oven tray. Press cookies down to flatten. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.

But that's way too many steps- I usually combine the wet ingredients, then add the dry ingredients, they come out the same anyway!

You can use milk of dark chocolate, but white chocolate melts too early and goes all grotty unfortunately.

Enjoy your baking.

Moderator Team
The Mod Squad
The Mod Squad

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:00 pm

This thread has been moved to In the kitchen with Bells.

The MODERATOR TEAM kindly reminds all members to please post in the most appropriate room at all times.

Thanks for your cooperation,

The Mod Team

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks, bronzestar!! :D I'll definitely try it and let you know how I go! One stupid question... :oops: What is sweetened condensed milk? Is there special cooking milk for these things, and if so, where would I find it in the super market?

bronzestar

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Sweetened condensed milk comes in a can, I think it's with the baking stuff in most supermarkets, where the choc chips will be. It's really thick and really sweet and gives the cookies a really yummy flavour. And a recipe will have sweetened condensed milk as an ingredient if it's needed, otherwise it's safe to assume the recipe wants "normal" milk. And here is the wikipedia link, if that helps at all.

I was going to make some just so I could post a pic for you, but I don't have any choc chips in the house 8O

ETA: It's probably not with the baking stuff at all, after thinking about it for awhile I'm pretty sure it would be with the other long life milks. Silly me :P

Balls
formerly known as JessieK
formerly known as JessieK

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:01 pm

I love cookies! But I can never be bothered to make them from scratch unless we already have everything needed in the house. So I either get the pre - made cookie dough in the cool section, with the milk and stuff or I get the betty crocker ones where you just mix in the milk and butter and whatever flavoring you like - ie vanilla or cinnamon.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Sugar cookies are good for shape cutting and decorating. Google will give you an easy recipe.

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks everyone!! :D

I'll share the ones that I've collected the last few days that I'll try to make next week. The first one is courtesy of the lovely Shannon (alwayz_shopping)!

Almond cookies

Ingredients

450g butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup blanched sliced almonds, finely chopped
3 1/2 to 4 cups plain flour
1 cup icing sugar

Preheat oven to 120 degrees celsius.
1- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine butter, sugar, vanilla and almonds using a spatula.
2- Fold in the flour – you want the dough to be dense enough to handle with your hands. Sometimes it will take more flour to make this happen, so start with 3 1/2 cups and add flour as necessary.
3- Roll spoonfuls of the dough into balls about the size of a small walnut and arrange them on a cookie sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the cookies are no longer doughy and are cooked through.
4- Remove the cookies from the oven and, while still hot, roll and toss around in a bowl with the icing sugar. Once coated, allow to cool. And then they're ready to eat!

Spiced Cardamom Cookies

Courtesy of Martha Stewart
Yields: 60 assorted trees and reindeer or 108 small stars
Oven Temp: 350

Ingredients
• 5 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
• 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
• 1 tablespoon(s) coarse salt
• 1 tablespoon(s) ground cardamom
• 1 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
• 8 ounce(s) (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
• 1 cup(s) dark-brown sugar
• 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup(s) dark corn syrup
• 1/4 cup(s) water
• 1/4 cup(s) heavy cream, room temperature
• 1 large egg, room temperature
• 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
1. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, cardamom, allspice, pepper, and cloves in a large bowl. Place butter in a mixer bowl. Bring sugars, corn syrup, and water to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot sugar mixture over butter, then beat on low speed until combined.
2. Beat cream, egg, and vanilla in a bowl, then add to butter mixture. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
3. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Divide dough into thirds, and flatten each into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic, and refrigerate overnight (or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in the refrigerator).
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out 1 disk between lightly floured parchment to 1/8-inch thickness. Alternatively, the dough can be rolled out to 1/16-inch thickness for a crisper cookie. Place a lightly floured plastic faux-bois mat (available from Chinese Clay Art) on dough, pattern side down. With rolling pin, lightly roll over mat to imprint dough. Carefully remove mat. Transfer dough on parchment to a baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining disks.
5. Cut out shapes with holiday cookie cutters. (Alternatively, use tree template: Copy onto card stock, enlarging 200 percent. Cut out, place over dough, and cut along edge with the tip of a paring knife.) Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheets, grouping similar sizes together and spacing them 1 inch apart. Roll out and cut scraps once. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. (If making small cookies, start checking after 8 minutes.) Transfer to wire racks, and let cool. Cookies will keep, covered, for up to 2 weeks.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Yields: 51 cookies
• 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 4 ounces 99% unsweetened chocolate, melted
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the oil, chocolate and granulated sugar and blend on medium speed. With the mixer running, add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. There may be some small clumps of sugar in the batter at this point. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed, stopping once to scrape down the sides. Mix until just incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes. The dough will be sticky.
Gather the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F/180 C. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
Pour the confectioners’ sugar onto a plate or into a shallow bowl. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, drop onto the sugar and roll each ball so that all sides are covered. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes for soft, chewy cookies, or 12 minutes for crisp cookies, rotating the pans halfway through baking. The cookies are done when the edges are set (but the tops still have a little give to them). Let cool completely on cooling racks. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06