A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Re: Making your own alcohol

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 am

My Mum bought a kit last year and makes her own (non-alcoholic) ginger beer, cider and she is trying some lager now. The cider she made is really nice and the ginger beer is nice now after a few off tries.

I don't know about the cost of setting up liquor but the beer type kits seem quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Like Rubywoo said though, they do smell and sometimes just don't turn out for some reason.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Homebrew beer is fine, but its illegal to distill your own spirits.

KateM

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Slinky wrote:
rubywoo wrote:
KateM wrote:
Homebrew beer is fine, but its illegal to distill your own spirits.

Wow, is it really? I guess that's because the government can't get their money out of you that way!!

That makes me want to start distilling our own spirits more now, haha :lol:

Yep, I think that is most of the reason why too!! :lol: Same goes for it being illegal to grow tobacco. (Why you would want to do that anyway is beyond me!! :lol: )

One of the ladies I work with has a still and makes her own spirits. She makes some kind of base alcohol stuff, then buys flavour essenses that turn it into the different kinds of drinks, like vodka, rum, gin etc. I'm suprised that the home brew shop is able to sell the essences if it is illegal to make spirits. I haven't tried any as I'm not really into spirits, but others have said that it is good.

A still can be used to distill water and essential oils. Funnily enough, you can buy them from homebrew stores. And you could use essences to flavour non-alcoholic beverages, I guess. They don't judge what you like!

I believe that home distilling is one of those things generally not prosecuted unless you start selling your home liquor. So I hear, anyway.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06