A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Jennalee84
I survived and got married
Topic Author

Ceremony rehearsal - worth having??

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:24 pm

As the subject states, I'm wondering whether it's worth us having a ceremony rehearsal? Our ceremony is fairly short, but the celebrant mentioned we had the option of doing one if we want.

For those that did a rehearsal - was it worth it?

narileena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Ceremony rehearsal - worth having??

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 pm

I was in Kachwards wedding and we had a rehersal - it was great for me because I was from interstate so got a chance to practice, but it was also really good to test out the music and the walking speed etc. The rehersal didn't really go for that long but for peace of mind, i think they are worth happing.

N x

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:29 pm

It was definitely worth it! It just put everyones mind at ease as to where to stand and how things would run (ie. what to do when we are signing the register etc). I think it was most helpful for the BMs, as one BM couldnt attend and she was nervous about where to go and and where to stand, but the others were ok because they had been at the rehearsal. Also for my dad, in the giving away part, because the celebrant told him when and where and what to say, dad wanted it to be perfect so he wanted to practice :lol: :mrgreen: It also gave me piece of mind that things would run relatively smoothly.

Also, Ive been a BM at a wedding without a rehearsal and we were nervous about where to go down the aisle, where to stand etc. It turned out find in the end (the celebrant just shuffled us in closer once everyone had walked up the aisle) but I really think if you have the opportunity for a rehearsal you definitely should

Jennalee84
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks girls - I was leaning towards having one for these reasons. Unfortunately my parents don't arrive till 3 days before the wedding, so they'll miss the rehearsal - but I'm sure my dad will work it out on the day!

I just got an email from my BM asking if we're having one, as she's nervous about timing, where to stand etc. So I think I'd better lock it in! Is 1 week prior too late?

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:38 pm

I would definitely have one!! I've played at so many weddings where they obviously haven't. Noone knows where to stand, it looks messy, and the celebrant spends so much time fussing around explaining what happens next (or asking the couple what they want to do) that it detracts from the ceremony itself.

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Jennalee84 wrote:
Thanks girls - I was leaning towards having one for these reasons. Unfortunately my parents don't arrive till 3 days before the wedding, so they'll miss the rehearsal - but I'm sure my dad will work it out on the day!

I just got an email from my BM asking if we're having one, as she's nervous about timing, where to stand etc. So I think I'd better lock it in! Is 1 week prior too late?

The closer to the wedding the better I think. We had ours on the wednesday evening before our wedding on the saturday :D

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 pm

SpecialKK wrote:
It was definitely worth it! It just put everyones mind at ease as to where to stand and how things would run (ie. what to do when we are signing the register etc). I think it was most helpful for the BMs, as one BM couldnt attend and she was nervous about where to go and and where to stand, but the others were ok because they had been at the rehearsal. Also for my dad, in the giving away part, because the celebrant told him when and where and what to say, dad wanted it to be perfect so he wanted to practice :lol: :mrgreen: It also gave me piece of mind that things would run relatively smoothly.

Also, Ive been a BM at a wedding without a rehearsal and we were nervous about where to go down the aisle, where to stand etc. It turned out find in the end (the celebrant just shuffled us in closer once everyone had walked up the aisle) but I really think if you have the opportunity for a rehearsal you definitely should

I agree with all this Jenna. Definently helped and was great fun!

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Im going against the grain and say no only because we didnt have one. Our ceremony was short and sweet and everything went into place. No issues or hiccups

The celebrant did suggest things and took control and helped along the way when the groom and his team arrived so they knew what to do and when we arrived she told us what to do which made it easy

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:45 pm

We had one. It was a nice chance to see our bridal party, have them meet our celebrant and look at the venue. We only spent about 15 mins on the ceremony rehersal and it was lovely. DH and the GMs went and picked up their suits afterwards and then we all went out for dinner that evening. I'm glad we had one.

jess85
mum2b
mum2b

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:05 pm

our priest advised us against having a rehearsal so we didnt. he said its more an American thing and that he hasnt had a couple have a rehearsal for like 15-20yrs which i found interesting. i dont think it would have made much difference to our ceremony if we did have a rehearsal

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 pm

jess85 wrote:
he hasnt had a couple have a rehearsal for like 15-20yrs which i found interesting.

Probably because he advises against them ? :wink:

We'll be having ours on the wed or thurs before the Saturday ceremony, purely for my and FH's peace of mind so we know what to do and when. We both get quite nervous so I didn't want to have to worry about all those little things when we'd already be so shaky!

jess85
mum2b
mum2b

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

BubS wrote:
jess85 wrote:
he hasnt had a couple have a rehearsal for like 15-20yrs which i found interesting.

Probably because he advises against them ? :wink:

He said i was the first person to ever mention it since rehearsals stopped being a mainstream thing. so long as the groom and groomsmen are standing in the right place (will be shown by priest/celebrant) before the bridesmaids etc walk down then there shouldnt be a problem.

we got a print out beforehand of the wording of the ceremony so we knew when we had to say things etc
Last edited by jess85 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 pm

I didn't mention it before, but for us, we needed to have one.

As I was arriving in a horse drawn carriage directly at the ceremony area, we needed to establish where the carriage would pull up and how we would walk around it to the aisle.
We also used our ceremony rehersal to ascertain where the musicians would set up. We also established a cue word from our celebrant for when our bridal party would let the rose petal cannons off and how they would hold them, and finally it gave us a chance to rehearse the ring giving ceremony as we chose to do a 'palm to palm' aka 'holy palmers kiss' for our ring exchange (Romeo and Juliet origins!) which needed a bit more coordination but looked very nice on the day.

NN

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm

We had one too, we practiced everything. It was good to have the chance to time the music and adjust our walking accordingly, we had a chance to practice what my dad and FH would do upon presentation of the bride, we had unity candles so that was practiced too and things like DH's ring not fitting in straight away to which we decide I'll leave it half way and he'll finish it discreetly so I wouldn't look like jamming it up.

I have to say some people tend to think that those spontaneous thing make the whole ceremony and make it more about the couple but for us it was a matter of everything working out and being presented nicely, at the end it rained so much that we had to change venue and things like the timed walked down the aisle were no longer current but I say it's all part of the experience and if you can get together and enjoy it all a bit more then why not.

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 pm

I strongly recommend you have a rehearsal! We weren't going to but did on the Friday before the wedding just so we were comfortable and we even went through how Dad was going to move me off his hard and stand me with DH and what hand to hold my flowers in until I had to give them to BM and what timing we had walking down the isle!
Any good celebrant won't actually read your ceremony but will just show you when to say things and what was to face and what they will do!

Kimbers

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:17 pm

We are planning to have one just for timings, and also to know where to stand and what order things are in etc. Although we haven't spoken to the priest about a practice yet so hopefully it will be ok. I just don't want to feel like a dork on the day not knowing where to be etc.

Jennalee84
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and stories!! A rehearsal is definitely in order :D :D

I appreciate all the feedback :heart:

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am

I'm not, our is a very small wedding, one attendant each, they will know where to stand, even the celebrant said its wasnt necessary and I know he will have everyone under control, I know where I am walking in from the only thing we need to discuss is when to start the music but once we pick the song the celebrant will handle that as hes used the venue heaps of times and knows how long it takes to walk from the entrance to the rotunda.

been to heaps of rehersals though as a photographer which was always handy but half the time what was planned at the rehersal, didnt happen on the day lol

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

I would definitely have one. On the day, everyone is excited/nervous and the extra practice could make the difference about feeling confident.

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

My celebrant didn't recommend it, she said to us 'I'm sure you've watched enough movies to know who should stand where and do what'. Still, I think we should have one coz I want to make sure everyone walks in line with the music.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.23