A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

jane1082
Topic Author

Memorial Candle

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I've been thinking about having a memorial candle integrated into my wedding somehow for those close relatives who have passed away. Has anyone done this and if so how did you go about lighting it, was it already lit, or did someone light it?

Wombatta
I survived and got married

Re: Memorial Candle

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi Jane,

Yes I have a memorial candle we had made for my little sister whom we just lost last year.... My fiancé and I will light it together in her memory during our wedding ceremony next week. Also our priest is going to say a prayer and some words for her as he knew her well. We also are dedicating our OOS booklets to her memory.
Not sure if this helps you, I can also recommend a lady who made the most beautiful candle for my sister....let me know and I can send her details

jane1082
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks Wombatta,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister, you sound as though you are going to honour her in a beautiful way on your wedding day. Thank you for the offer of details, my FMIL has a friend who does candles and is going to be doing the unity/family candles.

All the best for your big day! :)

melyz86

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:24 pm

We are doing something like this in memory of my FH's Nan who passed a few years ago. Our celebrant has written a few lines at the start of the ceremony about sharing it with a special lady in our lives as we are sharing the day with FMIL's 60th birthday. And then it says that FH and I would also like to acknowledge another special lady who can no longer be here. And then in honour of her life we are asking FMIL to light the special candle that is used at most family functions in honour of her presence as it is her mother that is no longer here. I think it's a great thing to acknowledge those who aren't there to share in such a special day.

jane1082
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Yeah I think it is a lovely idea as well. My FH's grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago, and we were both close with her. I found out a few days later that my grandfather has being diagnosed with cancer and the prognosis is not good. He is our last living Grandparent so we were hoping to make a special mention of him at the wedding, but now we may not have him with us :(

Wombatta

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Jane,
So sorry about your grandfather's illness and also the loss of your FHs grandma....thoughts are with you :heart:

Thanks for your comment....it will be hard to light the candle and stay in one piece but I'm going to give it a go

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 pm

So sorry to hear of everyone's losses.
I have done a lot of investigating on this issue because both my Dad and my Nan, who I was very close to have passed, and I wanted to find ways of including them in our wedding without making it too sad. I will be asking my godfather to walk me down the aisle but carry a long stemmed rose that I will give to my Mum once I reach the front pew. I will also be attaching a locket with photos of both to my bouquet. We plan to light a separate memorial candle for each person at the ceremony during a moment of silence as well.

Illikaeri
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:53 am

I want to include something in my wedding for my grandparents, but I'm not sure yet on what. I love the idea of having a small photo charm on the bouquet.

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:09 pm

We're probably doing this for my dad (and maybe even his mum by then since she is deteriorating) depending on where our ceremony is.
I really love the idea of celebrating the lives of the people who are not there to celebrate with you on our day, especially close family or friends who have passed on.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.25