A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

beehunnee
Topic Author

English Bride needs Aussie Help !! xx

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Hey Guys,

I am getting married here in the UK in November to my Australian sweetheart from Queensland. The whole of his family are coming over for a month and having a holiday whilst celebrating our special day!

We have asked my fiance's 16 year old nephew to read a poem during the church service.

Can any of you recommend a love poem, strictly written by an Australian poet. I am trying to incorporate as much of Australia into our wedding.

Many thanks & good luck with all your plans!!

Bee (Hampshire, UK)
xxx :heart: xxx

beehunnee
Topic Author

Re: English Bride needs Aussie Help !! xx

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you MonsoonPrincess.. I have gone down that route but to no big avail.. I thought maybe someone knew of something, I'm cutting corners basically! Hehehe..

xx

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 am

this may help

Henry Lawson, son of a Norwegian sailor born in 1867, was widely recognised as Australia's poet of the people and, in 1922, became the first Australian writer to be honoured with a state funeral. Two poets who are amongst the great Australian poets are Christopher Brennan and Adam Lindsay Gordon; Gordon was once referred to as the "national poet of Australia" and is the only Australian with a monument in Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey in England.

Adam Lisdsay gordon has some great works and I think it would be nice to quote him at your wedding in England as the Queen Elizabeth II herself quoted him once...

some works are here http://adamlindsaygordon.org/gordonsworks.htm:

I would that with sleepy, soft embraces

The sea would fold me—would find me rest

In luminous shades of her secret places,

In depths where her marvels are manifest ;

So the earth beneath her should not discover

My hidden couch-nor the heaven above her—

As a strong love shielding a weary lover,

I would have her shield me with shining breast.

- The Swimmer

beehunnee
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 am

Thank you so much.. I will have a really good look later on. I will let you know if I use anything from your links.

Best wishes.
Bee x
GZIP: On | Load: 0.2